Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Outfitting for Two (or more)

So, the other day I set about outfitting my shop for two. Why for two, you may ask? Well, dear reader, it is becuase I am going to be teaching a class.
Come next summer I will be teaching the Boy Scout Merit Badge Metalworking for troops in my area, as a chance to give back to my community. So, I have begun making tooling (and in some cases buying it where necessary) for at least two people, that way at least two scouts can forge at a time.

On Saturday I forged a hot-cut hardy out of 1060 steel (it was a pandrol e-clip from a nearby rail line). It fits my hardy hole, which is 3/4". A bit on the small side, but it works for what I need it for now. It has a bit of wobble in it, which I am not too pleased about. I am in the process of making another one and I might go back and modify it.

Today I started on the second hot cut, but got rained out. All I was able to get accomplished today was making a small hook, as my warm-up excersize. 

Just after cutting it off from the 3/8" bar:
 
 All done, the hook is a drive hook and can be hammered into a post or beam. It was a fun thing to make!


Well, as I close this blog post I am going to just say that I might have taken on an impossible task, making two of every tool that I will need to teach the Merit Badge, but I am going to persevere, because it will allow some young boys to experience firsthand this exciting hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment