Monday, December 24, 2012

A Christmas Gift for Mom

     Well, its that time of year again! Its Christmas Eve, and I, the ever poor college student (you see, only college students start blogs. It gives meaning to their lives.) am going shopping today. I am going Christmas shopping, if you haven't guessed, and boy am I cutting it close! I have currently about 3 1/2 hours. (which would explain why I'm writing a blog post instead of shopping..........go figure!)

However, I put my blacksmithing skills to work, at least for my mother's present. I would like to take this opportunity to share it with the world out of vanity and useless pride (although it looks pretty fine in my opinion!). A plant hanger hook is what I designed and made for my dear mother!
I am super pleased with the way the finial came out. It was an experiment with tapering and scrolling, and I love it. I hope my mom loves it too, because I made it for her and I love her.
The whole thing sits against a board with the long flat part facing downwards, being screwed into the post that way. Then, you can hang a flower basket, deer carcass, hat, or anything you choose on it.
 
 
I was really excited about this project, and I made sure it was really nice. I used my magic solution (vinegar) to remove the scale and the rust and then used a twisted wire cup attachment on a cordless drill to shine it up. It will be primed and painted after Christmas so that it can be used outdoors.
 
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
 
 
 
Oh wait, I forgot MY Christmas List! 
 
12 tons of smithing coal,
11 pairs of blacksmith tongs,
10 Lords a' leaping,
9 Mousehole Anvils
8 Punches of all sizes
7 cut-off hardies
6 geese on a spit that I forged
4 post vises
3 cone mandrels
2 Wally Yaters Swage Blocks (A and B)
And a brand spankin' new Smithy!
 
Merry Christmas, dear reader!


No comments:

Post a Comment