Today's post involves some sharp looking pieces of work that I did for commission work. For one I am going to be paid in American Dollars, the other one will be paid in artwork. (specifically a superbly well drawn picture of a tawny kitten ready to pounce on a couple of flutterbys. [okay, I squealed when I saw it...])
Both knives are forged out of 5160 steel in the form of golf-cart leaf springs. They were specially ordered to be rather thick and bulky, so the spines of the knives are approximately 1/4" thick. They are both double normalized (the survival knife was first annealed) and they withstood my extensive field tests. [note: field test is chucking them against a tree repeatedly to see if they break.]
First up is the survival knife that I forged for my friend Ryan. Overall length measures at about 10 inches. The blade is about 5 inches long and the distance from edge to spine is approximately 1.45 inches at the furthest. Here it is after rough forging it!
The second knife I forged was for my friend Natalie. She wanted a stabby knife for protection, and so I forged it for utmost kick-butt-itude. It had some letters stamped into it from the leaf spring, and I left them there for character. The knife came out looking like a roman gladiator's sword!
Close up of the knife in the fire:
Ryan's knife is on the right, Natalie's is on the left.
Ryan's knife, leather wrapped and shined up with some forge marks left on:
Natalie's knife, rough forged and sanded post-grind.
I still have some sharpening to do on them before they are ready, and hopefully I'll find some time in the next week for it. These were a blast to forge and taught me some good things about working with spring steel and thin stock. I know I would make many changes, and I am truly not a bladesmith. These were favors for friends, and they were fun. I have some other pictures of recent projects to show you, but that must wait for another time, dearest reader!
Thank you for reading!
These knives are looking so amazing. I also like all the features of this knife. I really like to buy this knife.
ReplyDeleteout the front knife
Hello sir,
DeleteI am glad that you like the looks of these knives. They have held out well, and are very sturdy. If you would indeed like to talk about purchasing a knife, send me a personal message.
Thanks,
Patrick, Blacksmith @ Ridgewayforge
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete