Saturday, January 26, 2013

It Followed Me Home (part 1)

   Today I made an excellent trade! I traded two bars of 1/2" Square Stainless Steel and a 14" Damascus knife blank.
(Damascus Steel: Pattern welded steel consisting of layers of mild and carbon steel welded and folded somewhere between 100-1000 times. Acid etched and shined, Damascus makes a beautiful patterned billet)

I traded these pieces for about a dozen cut pieces of leaf spring, half a dozen cut up pieces of coil spring 1/2" round, 4 1/2 ' of 1/2 square mild, and 17 railroad spikes. Also included was 7 files. The largest was 20" long and the shortest was 10".

Ah, forget the words, though!  All the beautiful, gently rusted metal!
Behold!






Overall a great trade with a new friend who I look forward to forging with at some point in the summer!

Now, I know I promised pictures of some letter openers that I forged, but that will have to wait for now. I have not gotten good pictures of them yet, but have no fear! You'll see more soon enough.


1 comment:

  1. Nice trade, and that should keep you busy for while! I finally figured out why I couldn't comment, but it's fixed now!

    Best Regards,
    Albert A Rasch
    The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
    Hogs and Dogs!

    ReplyDelete